Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Kristi's Story

I had the opportunity to take pictures of my friend Kristi's baby girl Emma. This first post will be her birth story and the following will be the pictures I took of her family and Emma.

"I found out I was pregnant in February 2015, we were very excited because it took us about a year to get pregnant.

My pregnancy started out normal like with my first child. At 14 weeks we went to a 3d ultrasound place and found out we were having a girl, our daughter was very excited to have a baby sister, and we were happy to have a healthy baby girl.

At 19 weeks in the early morning I woke up and felt like I had wet my pants. I ran to the bathroom and the fluid just kept coming. I was pretty sure my water had broke and my heart sank. We went to the hospital and since I was only 19 weeks the labor and delivery floor sent me back to the emergency room. After 4 hours at the hospital we were sent home with the instructions to call my obgyn as soon as her office opened.

We saw my doctor later that morning and she confirmed what the hospital had, my water had broken and my amniotic fluid was pretty low. She suggested that we induced labor because with so low fluid the baby wouldn't be able to develop properly or at all. And she was also worried about me getting an infection because the risk goes way up after your water has broken. We couldn't make that decision right away and decided to wait until my 20 week anatomy ultrasound the following week to see if the fluid had increased. After a week on bed rest my fluid had slightly increased and my doctor was comfortable letting me stay on bed rest as long as I didn't get an infection.

8 long weeks later I was admitted to the hospital to be on bed rest there. I got steroid shots to help her lungs develop the day I was admitted. I was only in the hospital for 3 days when I started having the worst back labor pains, I have never felt anything quite like it. I labored all night long accompanied with heavy bleeding. I was in so much pain I couldn't wait for my doctor to get there on her daily visit. She checked me at 8:00 am and she saw a little foot. Everything happened so fast we hardly had time to think. They rushed me into emergency surgery and at 8:58 Emma was here. Weighing 2lbs 4oz and 12" long.

There were about 15 people from the nicu alone there just for her. Once she was out we didn't hear any crying just a lot of commotion and people talking about saving the cord blood which there ended up being none because my placenta was abrupting and I had lost a lot of blood. After a few min the nicu doctor called my husband over and he was able to take pictures and see her before they took her to the nicu.

After I had recovered for while I was able to go to the nicu for the first time to see her. She was such a tiny perfect little thing. Even though she was so little I couldn't believe how perfect everything about her was.

With my water being broken and her being early they expected her lungs to be under developed, they weren't. She was on oxygen support but not intubated, which basically means she was breathing on her own with help from the machine to keep some pressure in her lungs since they were so tiny. For the first few days we fully expected her to get intubated but each day she kept surprising us and kept getting stronger and stronger.

After the first few days they were able to start giving her tiny amounts of breast milk through a feeding tube. And I was able to hold her when she was 4 days old. Each day she did really well and the doctors were amazed with her, as were we. She didn't have hardly any set backs in the nicu and towards the end she just had to grow and learn how to eat on her own. After 67 long days she was finally able to come home and we couldn't have been happier!"

No comments:

Post a Comment